History

 

From Humble Beginnings…

In the summer of 1854, local Presbyterians, felt the need for preaching in their vicinity, secured the services of DR. Septimus Tustin who lived in Washington DC. He would preach to gatherings in a grove near Halls Cross Road’s in Aberdeen, MD. In the winter the services were held in a building near the site of the present church building. There was enough interest in the services to build a brick building in the grove in 1856. Despite financial ups and downs along with frequent pastoral changes Grove continued to Grow. Throughout its history Grove has held special concern for the community and an interest in joining with other denominations (groups of Christians) to proclaim the gospel in word and deed. As the congregation grew it was clear that a new building was needed. in 1911-1912 the first part if the present church building was built.  Following WWI, the church building was expanded to include Sunday School rooms. A pipe organ was also installed for church services. The church also built a manse next door to the church building to act as a home for the church pastor; the manse is being used now as the church office. WWII brought many more people to Aberdeen, and to Grove. The 1950’s and 1960’s under the leadership of Rev. Perry Monroe, saw a great growth in congregation and the ability of the church to be of service to the community. A separate Christian education building was also built to house Sunday school and community activities during this time. The section of the church the had previously held the Sunday School rooms was converted into additional worship space. The 1980’s, 1990’s, and 2000’s were again a time of frequent pastoral change. Like many churches of this time, Grove’s membership has lowered- but its spirit has NOT!