From Humble Beginnings...


In the summer of 1854, local Presbyterians, felt the need for preaching in their vicinity, secured the services of DR. Septimus Tustin who lived in Washington DC. He would preach to gatherings in a grove near Halls Cross Road's in Aberdeen, MD. In the winter the services were held in a building near the site of the present church building. There was enough interest in the services to build a brick building in the grove in 1856.

Despite financial ups and downs along with frequent pastoral changes Grove continued to Grow.  Throughout its history Grove has held special concern for the community and an interest in joining with other denominations (groups of Christians) to proclaim the gospel in word and deed. As the congregation grew it was clear that a new building was needed. in 1911-1912 the first part if the present church building was built. 

Following WWI, the church building was expanded to include Sunday School rooms. A pipe organ was also installed for church services. The church also built a manse next door to the church building to act as a home for the church pastor; the manse is being used now as the church office.  WWII brought many more people to Aberdeen, and to Grove. The 1950's and 1960's under the leadership of Rev. Perry Monroe, saw a great growth in congregation and the ability of the church to be of service to the community. A separate Christian education building was also built to house Sunday school and community activities during this time. The section of the church the had previously held the Sunday School rooms was converted into additional worship space. 

The 1980's, 1990's, and 2000's were again a time of frequent pastoral change. Like many churches of this time, Grove's membership has lowered- but its spirit has NOT!



...to Humble Service!


Grove continues to reach out to our community in many ways. Each summer we host a Vacation Bible School which is attended by children in our community. Our thrift store offers clothes and household goods for anyone interested. The Deacons offer a Food Cupboard every Wednesday for anyone who needs food for their families. A luncheon called Martha's Meals is served in Groves Mitchell Hall every Thursday. Grove and 5 additional churches rotate food service for Martha's Meals. Grove also collaborates with Harford Family House offering use of the Monroe Building for classes and events. Every Christmas church members also participate in a gift giving program with Harford Family House; providing stockings with gifts for children within the Harford Family House Program. Many groups also use the Monroe Building as a meeting place. Currently Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Alcoholics Anonymous and Harford Hammers use Grove as a meeting place. 

Groves concerns are not only local!
We help support 4 mission families ( 2 in Cameroon, 1 in France, and 1 in Czech Republic) and supports a young boy in the Philippines. Through One Great hour of Sharing Grove supports Presbyterian Disaster Assistance, The Presbyterian Hunger Program, and The Self-Development of the People Program of the Presbyterian Church (USA).  Grove also supports the work of our Pastor as a member of the Presbyterian Disaster Assistance national Response Team. 

Grove also hosts Sunday School classes, special classes, and Women's Circles; which help us grow in Faith and Understanding.

In all of these ministries, we are upheld, encouraged and guided by the Holy Spirit. Each Sunday we celebrate God's victory over sin and death in the resurrection of Jesus Christ.  

We invite you to come and WORSHIP WITH US!